To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions for water, wastewater and street department related items. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.


You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area. Call 803-485-2525 during normal business hours and 803-460-2025 for after hours.

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look. After flushing the line to remove the air it should return to normal.

Only chemicals that are approved by the National Safety Foundation for treatment of drinking water. Chlorine for disinfection of the water we supply to the Town of Summerton and the North Shore Condo site is the only chemical we add to the water.

All public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.2 mg/L (tested at the end of each line) by state law. Chlorine is the only additive to our water supply.  Our disinfectant levels are tested daily to ensure safety.

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

This is usually trapped air in the water and over time clears from the bottom up. Normally, this is a result of the sink’s aerator (which is installed to put air into the stream to prevent excessive splashing). To see if the aerator is the problem, remove the aerator, run the water and compare the color. If you are unable to remove the aerator, you can check the clarity at a different sink or an outside hose.

This is the source of many calls to the Water Department. The smell is a result of small levels of hydrogen sulfide, which are naturally present in our ground water, reacting to the anode rod located inside your water heater. While the smell can be very unpleasant, this does not affect the safety of the water. This can occur on occasion as the source water to your home may change seasonally based on overall demand. There are two separate water treatment facilities feeding one large distribution system. Occasionally, the water facility that normally provides your water may change based on system demand or facility repairs. This can alter the hydrogen sulfide levels at your home. The smell can also occur when a new water heater is installed (it’s usually noticed 1-4 months after installation). To remedy the problem a building owner can either flush the water heater or change out the anode rod to one of a different material. Please refer to your heater’s manual for proper instructions regarding these suggestions. Often, the water heater manual will also address this problem and will provide possible solutions.

In Summerton the homeowner is responsible for their line from the home to the curb or property line.

A party line sewer is when two or more houses share one connection to the town main. The town allowed these installations but does not allow them any more. If one of the sewer lines need a repair then the town may require that both homes replace their sewer lines and connect to the town main separately.

Different types of material have been used for sewer pipe through the years. In general homes built in the early 1900's to the 1920's were constructed with clay pipe, 1920's to 1950's with concrete pipe, 1950's-1960's with cast iron & transite, late 1950's with orangeburg, and late 1970's to now with plastic PVC or ABS.

Irregardless of material, all sewer pipes should be watertight so as to allow no sewer spillage to the ground and also not allow stormwater into the sewer line.

Yes, we pick up bagged leaves, and limbs under 6 feet in length. We do not pick up loose leaves/pine needles, and long limbs. The town cannot take any materials other than brush and leaves.

Every Thursday with the exception of Thanksgiving Day and when the Christmas holidays fall on that day. All debris should be placed at the curb by 8 AM on the pick up day. The town will only make one pass down each street. 

Waste Management is contracted by the Town to pickup the household trash carts every Thursday. Please have your roll cart at the edge of the street by 7 AM for pick-up. Holiday schedules will be posted as soon as we get a notice from Waste Management.


No, most electrical appliances like computers, printers, televisions, cell phones and fluorescent light bulbs are considered e-waste and Waste Management cannot pickup any e-waste. You may take it to one of the Clarendon County drop off sites for disposal.